"Heineken Experience"

Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Today, we got out of class at noon, so a few of us decided we were going to test out our command of foreign public transportation and board a west-bound train from Zwolle to Amsterdam. It feels a little bit weird, but I think it is just swell that we can go to Amsterdam on a whim. It's like getting out of class at Dordt at noon and deciding to go to Sioux Falls for the rest of the day. But Amsterdam is quite a bit different from Sioux Falls.

We went to Amsterdam last Tuesday as well, and saw many sights, and then just ended up walking around for the rest of the time, so this time we decided to have a plan before we left. We decided on something called the "Heineken Experience." So, when we got to Amsterdam, we bought some bus tickets and headed to an old Heineken Beer brewery. According to information I gathered later, the building was actively used as a brewery until 1988, and since then it was a self-guided tour about how Heineken is made.

This is the part of the story where I offer my own opinion of it. Well here it is: the brewery was unimpressive. I would probably have been better off learning about the process of brewing on the internet, because the self-guided tour wasn't that great. Apparently, they use something like five ingredients and put them in big vats for a long time. Whoop-de-do. But when I left, they gave me a sweet mug which is probably worth the ten-euro entrance fee, so I guess that made it worth it.

After this "experience," we walked through the shops of Amsterdam again. I rather enjoy just meandering around; I find it oddly plesant to notice the architecture and watch the tourists and locals scurry about, each in her own unique way. Last time I went to Amsterdam, I didn't pick up a flag, so this time I was sure to find a nice red and white Ajax flag to add to my collection of football club flags (okay, actually to start my collection).

After getting some pizza, we boarded a train and got back to Zwolle safely. I still can't get over the fact that we decided at noon to go to Amsterdam, went, and returned by ten on the same day. I can't even do that to any major city in the United States from where I live.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Turkish pizza? I think Jaap directed me to a place like that. It tasted good and was cheap.

7:08 PM  
Blogger Aaron said...

For a better Heineken Experience, I suggest De Joffer on Tuesday nights. No free mug after your "tour," but you leave feeling more...satisfied...

11:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home