Dutch Influence

Wednesday, February 01, 2006

We've only been in The Netherlands for two weeks, and already the people here are changing us.

One thing I have noticed since I arrived in this fine country is that the pace of life in the Netherlands is far slower than my college life back at home. I would also venture to say that it is a slower pace of life than Midwest United States life in general. For example, every evening we eat dinner as a family; everybody sits down at the table, we have devotions, and we eat. After eating a large, wonderful meal at a leisurely pace, we sit at the table and chat for a while longer (this chatting usually takes place in Dutch though, so Dustin and I just sit in our chairs and listen to the changing voice inflections, and from time to time catch one or two words out of the conversation). Then, our family usually sings wonderful Dutch songs, some of which the tune I recognize. Some time later we usually come together again and drink a glass of wine or a cup of cappuccino, and just sit and chat once again (this time commonly in English).

So, Dustin and I were coming home from school today, passing the myriads of people who were taking their bike rides at a much more leisurely pace than we were, and we decided that we were going to ride to the local grocery store to purchase for ourselves some more scrumtious Swiss chocolate. Thanks to one Aaron Faber, I obtained a large bar of "Hazelnuss" chocolate before heading to the house. As I threw my coat into my bedroom after arriving at the house, Dustin asked me if I wanted a glass of cappuccino. Well, the cappuccino that we have in the house is glorious, so of course I consented. Before I knew it, we were sitting in the living room enjoying our chocolate and sipping on our cappuccinos. That's when it hit me, the dutch are getting to me. Here we were, taking a break from our already unhectic day to take a break, slowing down our own pace of life. But really, this is life; it was like being at one of my Grandparents' houses, taking a coffee break and sitting down to chat.

But then I was faced with a huge dillema, either I could remain sitting on my chair, sipping my drink and enjoying the company, or I could go do my Dutch homework which is due tomorrow. That's when the answer to my question walked in the room; it was Steven, my fourteen-year-old host brother who had just come home from his school. He's alright at Dutch I think, so I sweet-talked him into doing my Dutch homework for me. Brilliant, my homework was being finished and I was still just sitting around, relaxing. This is the life.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bryan, that's a dirty dirty move to have someone else do your homework! :)
(kinda remindes me of my first 3 year at college)

4:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

They say sometimes you can learn a lot just by watching someone right?

4:33 PM  
Blogger Aaron said...

You are truly brilliant - you've captured the essence of Dutch culture with 3 months to spare. Live it up.

And I'm curious - do they ever make fun of your last name? Whenever my host brother and sister were looking for a degrading comeback at me, they'd say something like, "You lazy Americans just eat hamburgers all the time!" A very witty joke, I know. I love it.

11:40 AM  
Blogger Brady Jay said...

That is a dirty move to have someone do your homework. But who cares it is for more worth it that you just sip on your drink and eat some chocolate! I wish I could join you...I'm ridiculously jealous!

2:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have you gotten koffie breaks during class yet?? Who knew 35 euro cents could get you such a delicious cup of coffee!!

4:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great work!
[url=http://jdglpqwy.com/mjdx/btpk.html]My homepage[/url] | [url=http://ppqsdiyy.com/nlif/inrx.html]Cool site[/url]

7:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice site!
My homepage | Please visit

7:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home