she is my evil foe

Thursday, February 09, 2006

There is a bane that haunts me
as many of you may well know
she is my mortal enemy
she is my evil foe

She plagued me when I lived at Dordt
she tortured me back at home
and she followed me across the Atlantic
which is why I write this poem

I tried to flee her dominion
and get away from her treacherous reign
so I schemed to cross the Atlantic
then I boarded my getaway plane

I thought I was free of her power
I thought I had accomplished a feat
I had escaped from the evil queen's clutches
had found haven in my safe retreat

But two days ago she found my recluse
her minions told her that I came
I was biking across the river
when she decided to play her game

Her might nearly halted my progress
I grew faint as I fought this witch
for her powers were strong with her fury
then she screamed at a deafening pitch:

"I was born at the time of creation
no mortal can put up a fight
I've brought havoc to N'Orleans and India
and am almost as old as light

"You're only hope is to love me
like the sailors of a time long past
who used me to cross the oceans
by putting thick cloth on their mast

"The Netherland dwellers embrace me
for I bring the heat and the rain
to me they construct four-fanned idols
that they use to grind their grain

"and some of these idols they've used
to recover the land from the sea
and others the Dutch have built
to generate power for free

"so as you can see you're a fool
to run to the Dutch out of fear
for though I am omni-present
my power is greatest right here

"My name is known as 'Wind'
and your foe I will always be
you might as well get used to my strength
because you never will escape from me"

You can thank a recent streak of windy weather, and the near impossibility to cross the Hattem/Zwolle bridge in this wind, for my inspiration to write this poem. (I doubt the bridge is called the Hattem/Zwolle bridge, but to me it connects Hattem and Zwolle, so to me it's the Hattem/Zwolle bridge.)

5 Comments:

Blogger Dustin said...

Once again, your superior writing skills perfectly capture our battle

7:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is a really good poem...I am quite impressed.

12:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Coming home must have been a piece of cake, right?

12:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmmm. No words. Simply a large, gradual smile that ends up swallowing my eys.

12:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You never cease to amaze me with your creative talents... and you've got common sense... not to mention knowing all the rules of life! Wow. Wow.

2:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home